motorized pedalcycles

I’m sure that many of you have seen or may have even purchased a bike that has some type of motorized assistance, whether gas or electric.  PennDOT actually differentiates these bikes and depending on some of the characteristics, has different rules regarding licensing, registering and insurance.  The attached chart indicates what is and what is not required when operating one of these special bikes upon the roadways of Pennsylvania.  Please take the requirements into consideration when purchasing for either yourself or another as you may need a license and/or proof of registration and insurance to operate.  No matter what type of pedalcycle you operate, remember to follow all the rule of the road and remain safe!!!

PDF icon fact sheet222.76 KB
Motorized Pedacycles